Playlist

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Saturday from H-e-well, you know.

Good Morning.
It is Tuesdayish and I'm back as promised. (: Okay, it's Wednesday. The best news first, we're moving in (ready, ready? Count them..) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 days! Counting today and next Monday when we move, meaning there are only FOUR days between now and then! Who's amped? This girl! This boy! Ahh. So exciting. I hope you're all prepping to come visit, because you're invited. Duh. ;)

The not so fab news. For those of you who haven't heard we had a m-o-n-sterous winter storm this weekend. Yes, that's right, on the last day of April. Really. So bad. We lost power at about 3 am on Saturday which was back on before we were up the next morning, it flickered a little through out the day. Our neighboring town Williston lost power the same time Saturday morning and didn't regain power until late Monday evening. Can you imagine? Winter weather and no electricity for three days and two nights. Insane. Needless to say, Saturday as you know I was on my way to Billings for my exam. Oh the joys of driving through snow. I seriously have never, ever, ever, ever driven in weather so bad. I didn't have a choice, my test was on Sunday! So I left my house around 10 am on Saturday morning and 5 hours later I was fifty miles from home. Of course I have a story for you. Are you ready?

I first left in the car, pulled out onto the highway, drove, mm, a half a mile? Then realized the snow on the highway was deeper than my car, there was no way I could drive. So I attemped to turn around which was quite possibly the scariest thing (okay, not that scary) of my life because I was trying to turn around and my car kept getting stuck in the middle of the high way because of how deep the snow was and I couldn't see anything in either direction. Awesome. I make it back home with the car in one piece. Erik scraped the snow off the pickup, seriously a challenge. It's snowing and blowing so much the first time I left I had to use my ice scraper to break the snow off to get into the trunk. So bad. Aand just days before we were wearing shorts and t's! Okay. We move all of my things from the car to the pick up. All of my testing supplies. My overnight bag. My purse. I have everything I need and I'm back on the road. Now feel special, because I took video/pictures to share w/ you, but as I type they're in the car so yes, I'm going to get out of bed and go outside for you. Brb. Bleh. ;)

I know, I know. I was a big idiot for driving. An even bigger idiot for taking pictures while driving in this. Seriously, if I didn't have to drive to Billings it would have the the perfect day to drive around and just take pictures of all the wild things I spotted.

This was my view driving down the highway.


One of the many trees blown over, most of them were torn out of the ground roots and all (in Williston tearing up yards and landing on houses and vehicles). This storm also broke telephone poles, power line and light post in half.


I spotted this camper in the ditch, with two cars right behind it.


Right after the camper and cars this semi was in the ditch on the other side of the road.


I zoomed in and took a close up of what the high way looked like. This is what I was driving on! Stupid. Ha.


This semi was in the ditch, facing me, on my side of the road! And you can see visibility was swell. (:


This is what the roads looked like once I got to my part of the trip under road construction.


I wish I had pictures of the mailboxes, they were all blown up and packed completely full of snow. At one point there were a few hay bails on the west side of the road. The wind/snow was blowing from west to east so on the east side of the bails was a big patch of untouched green grass in the midst of all of this blizzard. It was really neat to see. I truly wanted to pull over and get a good picture of it, but I didn't figure pulling over to get out and snap a picture would have been the safest thing. Ha.

I also took a video to share, but right now it's not loading correctly.

Either way. Driving the 50 miles through this, from Sidney to Glendive literally took me THREE HOURS. 50 miles. Bleh. But as soon as I make it to Glendive this is what I see..


Real life! Isn't that insane. Everyone kept saying as soon as I made it to Glendive it wasn't snowing and I seriously could not believe them until I made it there. So the weather was great the rest of my trip. I'm planning to stop in Miles City and get gas, as I'm plotting it out I realize..ohh man..I grabbed my purse and I LEFT MY WALLET IN THE CENTER COUNSIL OF THE CAR! Yes. I am the biggest idiot in the world. So not only do I not have any money at all, zero dollars! I don't have my drivers license which I absolutely need to get into my test. I call Erik and with a few not so pretty words explain to him what I've just realized. So I turn around and he takes off in the car and meets me back in Glendive. I load all my things back into the car, careful not to forget anything this time. Bleh. Aand FIVE hours from my starting point I'm ready to leave Glendive for the second time. So my trip from Sidney to Billings that should have taken 4 hours took 8. 8 joyous hours. Ohh so much fun! Bleh. Ha. It was seriously the worst.

What is it they say about April going out like a Lion?
BUT. On my way home on Monday I was talking to a friend and she was telling me that another friend of hers was complaining about her day until she shared my Saturday story with her. My friend's friend said "Wow, that really brings out the silver lining on my day." Kind of one of those don't complain there are always people less fortunate than you things. But seriously it made my day to hear that my misfortune helped her to feel better about her day. Ha. (:

That's all I have for this morning. I need to get up. Unpack my bag from this weekend, get some things together for moving, get ready and be to work by 9:30.

More soon.
LOVEYOU.

Oooh! Since I didn't post yesterday a belated Happy 2nd Anniversary to Josh and Amber!!!!!!!!! (:

1 comment:

  1. Oh.My.Gosh. KATIE! CRAZY!!! UGH I'm soooooo glad there is no snow anymore. I don't want to see it again until December.

    ReplyDelete